One of my all-time favourite winter traditions is making a tourtiere for dinner.
We usually make one for Christmas Eve and it’s a traditional French Canadian meat pie with mashed potatoes, onions and spices. It’s SO good that I thought that it was worth making again after the holidays as a winter comfort food idea. You could even re-create my holiday brunch if you’d like!
I like serving my tourtiere with boiled peas, seasoned with butter and pepper along with a crisp green salad and maybe some roasted carrots. It keeps incredibly well and makes a great lunch the next day. I serve a little Heinz Chili Sauce on the side, but if you can find a homemade chili sauce from Quebec – even better! Tourtiere pairs well with this cocktail recipe!
To save time: I microwave the potatoes instead of baking them – but if you’re really organized, bake them an hour ahead of time. Don’t forget to take your pie crust out the night before to thaw in the fridge. I use frozen pre-made crusts to save time, but you could easily make your own from scratch.
I’ve tried a few tourtiere recipes online and modified and played around with a bunch of them – this my version and the one we like the best – enjoy!
French Canadian Tourtiere
- 1 lb ground beef (grass-fed, organic if possible)
- 1 lb ground pork (organic if possible)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, baked and mashed
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeng
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Dash of Allspice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sea salt
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 frozen ready-to-roll double pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix pork and beef together in a large bowl. Add to onions and cook for 10 more minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt + pepper, add spices, mashed potatoes and broth. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat your over to 375F
- Line a 9″ pie plate with your first pie crust. Then spoon in your tourtiere meat mixture.
- Place the second pie crust on top, seal the edges and cut a few steam vents into the top of your tourtiere.
- Brush top of the tourtiere with your egg wash.
- Bake in the middle rack of your oven for 45 minutes until your crust looks golden.
Enjoy your homemade tourtiere!
【Top 10 Malaysia & Singapore Most Beautiful Girls】Have you follow?